Schumacher Taxi Service
It's faster if you let us drive.  


Citation Build Journal

The car: a daily driver last state inspected in 2006, this beast sat in a front yard for sale for a few weeks. Each time I drove by, I wondered about it. it was so damned ugly no one would WANT it, especially not for street use. So I inquired, and it was all there---V6, four speed, it ran and drove fine. I lowballed the guy and he took it. Guess I overpaid. Here's what it looked like then:

Image

Broken shock on driver's side rear:

Image

Beautiful inside, too:

Image

Solid rear axle:

Image

So we autocrossed it in November. The car performed pretty well, at least compared to what I expected. It slalomed well and seemed to have decent pickup. However, the seat floor mount rusted through and Rob went backwards as his seat collapsed. oops.

Image

On a nice day in December, we started stripping it:

Image
Image

The floorboard wan't too bad except for in two spots. Her's one, the one that sent the passenger and seat backwards.

Image

largely stripped inside:

Image
Image
Image

The amount of crap that came out of this beast was unbelievable.

Now it was time for the cage and seat. Rob and Dave built a fantastic cage for the car:

Image

And we installed the seat and belts. I'm really happy to have found a good EVO2 seat like the one we used in the Corolla last year:

Image

After a month of rest, the team got back together to strip more stuff and do the suspension and brake work. The first task was to get the smog pump and heater core out. It surprisingly required a BFH, but did eventually give in and exit the car in pieces. The absence of the heater core left a ginormous hole in the firewall, 18 inches across!

Image

The heater core exchange had these household valves on it. WTF? They are "no more".

Image

We had to cover up that huge hole with something, so we used part of a 1964 Rover door. A sawzall and some sheet metal screws and we were set:

Image

The smog pump sent air into the exhaust manifold. we didn't really have anything good to plug that up with, so we used a stick off a tree. Fit perfectly and it's still there (right side middle of photo):
Image

The battery was basically floating freely. Here's what it's mounting spot looked like:

Image

I'm still not entirely certain how they did it, but with the help of a bottle cap, the battery is secure and doesn't move. Weird. here's the bottle cap.

Image

Now it's off to the suspension. We cut all the springs (one in progress):

Image

Rear passenger suspension before:

Image

And replaced the shocks and brakes. Here is what a 25 year old broken shock looks like. I can't believe I autocrossed it like this. When I took the shock off the car, it was fully compressed. It never moved from that position!

Image

Cheap KYBs in the back and even cheaper Monroes in the front and we are nearly done.

Image

The salvage yard Fiero wheels are on the car now, with some new Yokos. I was happy to toss the dryrotted Firehawks in the trash. We have no instruments, but are still considering rewiring a gas gauge. hmmm

Image

This weekend the car goes back to the autocross for a good shakedown. Despite it's first day on a track is still 6 months away, we are nearly done prepping it. Thanks Mark and Ron! We have a potential spring issue, but I want to run the car before doing any more cutting. We may have a rake issue and have to lower the front anyway, which would resolve our spring issue too. Also, the brake system's vacuum pump was rusted through so we removed it. I hope we have brakes, but we seem to.

I will update this thread as we complete this car.


Home